Welcome to the “Coronavirus Update for Hawaii County.”
Views expressed in this Hawaii News summary are those of the reporters and correspondents.
Content provided by the Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency and the State of Hawaii Department of Health.
Accessed on 14 March 2020, 0250 UTC, Post 20418.
Source (email from the Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency):
Please click link or scroll down to read your selections.
This is a Civil Defense message.
This is a Coronavirus informational update for Friday, March 13 at 12:00 noon.
The following are Policy Updates:
On the National Policy:
- President Trump has issued a National Emergency Declaration which will enable needed resources, removes obstacles, and increases testing capacity to battle the coronavirus pandemic affecting the United States.
On National Travel Policies:
- The President announced effective at midnight, foreign nationals who have been in Europe in the last 14 days will be denied entry into the United States and that all US citizens, permanent residents, and family members returning from Europe will be subject to extra screening and 14-day self-isolation.
- Before traveling, review Travel Advisories and Alerts for Destination(s) at www.travel.state.gov/destination. The State Department and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention provide specific advice to travelers on their websites.
On Department of Health Update:
- There are no new positive coronavirus cases in Hawaii. The two existing cases are in isolation and under observation on Oahu.
- The community must come together and take action to prevent the spread of coronavirus to our island, you can make a difference right now by staying informed, following health advisories and taking action to protect yourself and your family.
Up Date on Cruise Ship and Cargo Shipping:
- Department of Transportation Harbors reports that Cargo Shipping between the west coast and interisland will NOT be interrupted and Harbors will REMAIN OPEN to continue the movement of freight.
- The Department of Transportation also reports that the majority of cruise ship companies are ceasing operations for the health and safety of all concerned.
The following is a Community Advisory on Keeping Hawaii Safe:
- As a reminder, we all need to do our part to keep our Island and `Ohana (family) safe.
- Yesterday the Merrie Monarch and County of Hawaii announced the cancellation of the 2020 Merrie Monarch Festival as an important issue concerning the health and welfare of the people of Hawaii.
Additionally, your help is needed to prevent rumors about Coronavirus. Make sure your information is up-to-date and comes from a credible source. For more information regarding Coronavirus visit:
- Hawaii County has opened a call center to answer any of your questions concerning coronavirus in operation 7-7 daily at 935-0031.
- Department of Health website at www.health.hawaii.gov or;
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website at www.cdc.gov.
- You may also call the Department of Health at 974-6001 or after-hours at 211.
Your Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency will continue to give you daily updates and you will be notified of any changes that may affect your safety.
Thank you for listening. Have a safe day.
This is your Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency.
For the latest Hawaii Island, West Hawaii, Hawaii State, and Hawaii Sports News, please check the blog sidebars and links. These news feeds are updated daily. Thanks for joining us today.
Until next time,