Accessd on 23 August 2018, 2248 UTC, Post #17495.
Email message from the Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency.
Here’s the latest information on Hurricane Lane and the warnings created by that storm from the Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency:
This is a Civil Defense hurricane update for Thursday, August 23 at 11:00 in the morning.
The Hurricane Warning issued by the Central Pacific Hurricane Center continues for Hawaii County. The windward side of Hawaii Island is currently under a flash flood warning and experiencing hurricane conditions of heavy rains and flooding.
The Central Pacific Hurricane Center reports as of 8:00 am that Hurricane Lane is a category 4 hurricane located approximately 205 miles SW of Kailua-Kona with sustained winds of 130 mph, moving NW at approximately 7 mph. Due to the slowing of the hurricane, dangerous heavy rains and flooding may persist for a period of time.
Due to Hurricane Lane, the following policies are in effect:
- All non-emergency County operations are suspended, including transfer stations. The Hele On bus service will remain open.
- All County Parks are closed through Friday and will be re-assessed for weekend use. All pavilion and camping permits for these parks have been cancelled.
- All State facilities and services are closed.
- All DLNR outdoor recreation areas and reserves are closed.
- Numerous major and secondary roads are closed. Due to the extreme hazards created from the heavy rain, stay off the roads unless absolutely necessary. The latest road closures can be found here: http://www.hawaiicounty.gov/active-alerts.
Weather conditions are being monitored and you will be informed of any changes that may affect your safety.
Thank you and have a safe day. This is your Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency.”
For the latest Hawaii Island, West Hawaii, Hawaii State, and local sports news, please check the blog sidebars and links. These news feeds are updated daily. Thanks for joining us today.
Until next time,