Accessed on 21 June 2018, 0423 UTC, Post #17061.
Email message from the Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency.
Here is the latest eruption and lava flow assessment from the Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency. Included in this report is a revised policy for admitting residents and accredited media to areas impacted by recent lava flows.
This is a Civil Defense Message for Wednesday, June 20 at 6:00 pm.
Hawaiian Volcano Observatory reports that Fissure 8 continues to erupt with a full channel flowing to the ocean in one major entry. Fissures 6, 15 and 16 continue producing minor spattering. Trade winds are expected to return tomorrow pushing vog away to the southwest toward Kau and Kona.
The East Rift Zone Eruption has generated immense interest from the public and the media. Hawaii County Civil Defense has the following policies in place.
For the public:
- Leilani Estates, west of Pomaikai Street is only open to residents with official credentials
- Leilani Estates, residents who live east of Pomaikai Street can contact Civil Defense to schedule an escort to retrieve important documents and vital belongings. These escorts only happen when conditions are safe.
- Government Beach Road is open to Papaya Farms Road.
For the media:
- The Hawai’i Army National Guard conducts escorted tours twice daily for credentialed members of the press only.
- Contact Major Chuck Anthony for details at 808-779-8008
All of these policies were instituted to ensure public safety during this event. Hawaii County has a detailed map of restricted areas and the mandatory evacuation zone available at www.hawaiicounty.gov. The 2018 Lava Information Map is on the left side at the top of the page.
We are on watch 24-hours a day for your safety.
This is your Hawai‘i County Civil Defense Agency.”
For the latest Hawaii Island, West Hawaii, Hawaii State, and local sports news, please check the blog sidebar and links. These news feeds are updated daily. Thanks for joining us today.
Until next time,