Accessed on 13 June 2018, 0404 UTC, Post #17004.
Email message from the Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency.
Here’s the latest eruption and lava flow assessment from the Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency:
This is a Civil Defense Message for Tuesday, June 12 at 3 in the afternoon.
Hawaiian Volcano Observatory reports fissure 8 continues to produce a large channelized flow that is entering the ocean at Kapoho and producing a large laze plume. Gas emissions from the fissure eruption and at the ocean entry continue to be very high.
Due to volcanic and air quality conditions, the following guidance is given:
- The Department of Health recommends limiting outside activities and staying indoors if you have breathing issues.
- An eruption community meeting will be held at 5:00 p.m., tonight, at the Pahoa High Cafeteria.
Due to the current volcanic activity, the following policies are in effect:
- Leilani Estates west of Pomaikai Street is open only to residents with official credentials.
- Leilani Estates residents who live east of Pomaikai Street, can contact Civil Defense to schedule an official escort to their homes to retrieve important documents and belongings.
- Escorted entry is conducted only when conditions are stable and access is subject to change if conditions become unsafe.
- People with proof of residence can call Civil Defense at 935-0031 during normal business hours.
- Government Beach Road, between Kahakai Boulevard and Cinder Road is open to Waa Waa and Papaya Farms Road only to residents with official credentials.
- There is no immediate threat, but residents in these areas should heed warnings from Civil Defense officials and be prepared to evacuate with little notice.
We are on watch 24-hours a day for your safety.
This is your Hawai‘i County Civil Defense Agency.”
For the latest Hawaii Island, West Hawaii, Hawaii State, and local sports news, please check the blog sidebars and links. These news feeds are updated daily. Thanks for joining us today.
Until next time,