Accessed on 12 June 2018, 0504 UTC, Post #16999.
Email from the Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency.
Here’s the current eruption and lava flow assessment from the Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency.
This is a Civil Defense Message for Monday, June 11 at 6 in the evening.
Hawaiian Volcano Observatory reports that the eruption continues in the lower East Rift Zone. Fissure 8 in Leilani Estates continues to produce a large channelized flow that is entering the ocean at Kapoho and producing a large laze plume. Gas emissions from the fissure eruption and at the ocean entry continue to be very high. The National Weather Service reports trade winds are pushing vog southwest around the southern part of the island to the Kona area.
Due to volcanic and air quality conditions, the following guidance is given:
- The Department of Health recommends limiting outside activities and staying indoors if you have breathing issues.
- You can monitor latest air quality measurements through the University of Hawaii’s Vog Measurement and Prediction Project at http://mkwc.ifa.hawaii.edu/vmap/
- A community meeting on volcanic ash and vog will be held at 5:30 p.m. this Thursday at the Ocean View Community Center.
Due to the current volcanic activity, the following policies are in effect:
- Leilani Estates West of Pomaikai Street is open only to residents with official credentials.
- Government Beach Road, between Kahakai Boulevard and Cinder Road is open to Waa Waa and Papaya Farms Road only to residents with official credentials.
- There is no immediate threat, but residents in these areas, do need to heed warnings from Civil Defense officials and be prepared to evacuate with little notice.
The shelter at Pahoa Community Center is open and pet-friendly. The Keaau Armory shelter has reached capacity.
We are on watch 24-hours a day for your safety.
This is your Hawai‘i County Civil Defense Agency.”
For the latest Hawaii Island, West Hawaii, Hawaii State, and local sports news, please check the blog sidebars and links. These news feeds are updated daily. Thanks for joining us today.
Until next time,
https://hawaiinewsdigest.net (Hawaii News Digest)
https://hawaiinewsdiges.com (Hawaii News Headlines)
https://hawaiiinternationalnews.blogspot.com (World News)
https://hawaiisciencedigest.com (Hawaii Science Digest)