Accessed on 07 June 2018, 1903 UTC, Post #16972.
Email message from the Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency.
Here’s the current eruption and lava flow update from the Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency:
This is a Civil Defense Message for Thursday, June 7 at 6:00 in the morning.
Hawaiian Volcano Observatory reports that vigorous lava eruptions continue in the lower East Rift Zone. Fissure 8 is very active and producing a large channelized flow that has filled in Kapoho Bay. The ocean entry is sending a large laze plume into the air along the coastline.
Due to the lava entering the ocean, the following policies are in effect:
- Laze is formed when hot lava hits the ocean sending hydrochloric acid and steam with tiny glass particles into the air.
- Health hazards of laze include lung damage, and eye and skin irritation.
- Be aware that the laze plume travels with the wind and can change direction without warning.
Due to the current volcanic activity, the following policies are in effect:
- Government Beach Road, between Kahakai Boulevard and Cinder Road, is open to Waa Waa and Papaya Farms Road residents only with official credentials. There is no curfew.
- Residents in this area should heed warnings from Civil Defense officials and be prepared to evacuate with little notice.
The shelter at Pahoa Community Center is open and pet-friendly. The Keaau Armory shelter has reached capacity.
Hawaiian Volcano Observatory reports volcanic gas emissions remain very high from fissure eruptions. Due to the elevated gas levels, the following is provided for your information:
- A community meeting on volcanic ash and VOG will be held today, Thursday, June 7 in Volcano at the Cooper Center at 7:00in the evening.
- You can monitor sulfur dioxide and hydrogen sulfide on Hawaii Island by visiting the Civil Defense website or go directly towww.epa.gov/kilaueaairdata.
We are on watch 24-hours a day for your safety.
This is your Hawai‘i County Civil Defense Agency.
This e-mail has been sent to you by the COUNTY OF HAWAII. To maximize their communication with you, you may be receiving this e-mail in addition to a phone call with the same message. If you no longer wish to receive email notifications from COUNTY OF HAWAII, please click here to unsubscribe.”
For the latest Hawaii Island, West Hawaii, Hawaii State, and local sports news, please check the blog sidebars and links. These news feeds are updated daily. Thanks for joining us today.
Until next time,
https://hawaiinewsdigest.net (Hawaii News Digest)
https://hawaiinewsdigest.com (Hawaii News Headlines)
https://hawaiiinternationalnews.blogspot.com (World News)
https://hawaiisciencedigest (Hawaii Science Digest)