Accessed on 05 June 2018, 2021 UTC, Post #16958.
Email from the Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency.
Here is the latest eruption and lava flow report from the Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency:
This is a Civil Defense Message for Tuesday, June 5 at 6:00 in the morning.
Hawaiian Volcano Observatory reports that vigorous lava eruptions continue in the lower East Rift Zone. Fissure 8 is very active and producing a large channelized flow that is filling in Kapoho Bay. The ocean entry is sending a large laze plume into the air along the coastline.
Due to the lava entering the ocean, the following policies are in effect:
- Laze is formed when hot lava hits the ocean sending hydrochloric acid and steam with tiny glass particles into the air.
- Be aware of the laze hazard and stay away from any ocean plume.
- Health hazards of laze include lung damage, and eye and skin irritation.
- Be aware that the laze plume travels with the wind and can change direction without warning.
Due to the current volcanic activity, the following policies are in effect:
- Government Beach Road, between Kahakai Boulevard and Cinder Road, is open to Waa Waa and Papaya Farms Road residents only with official credentials. There is no curfew.
- Residents in this area should heed warnings from Civil Defense officials and be prepared to evacuate with little notice.
The shelter at Pahoa Community Center is open and pet-friendly. The Keaau Armory shelter has reached capacity.
An eruption community information meeting will be held at the Pahoa High School cafeteria this evening, Tuesday, May 5 at 5:00 in the evening.
We are on watch 24-hours a day for your safety.
This is your Hawai‘i County Civil Defense Agency.
This e-mail has been sent to you by the COUNTY OF HAWAII. To maximize their communication with you, you may be receiving this e-mail in addition to a phone call with the same message. If you no longer wish to receive email notifications from COUNTY OF HAWAII, please click here to unsubscribe.”
Please note the typo in the community meeting date at Pahoa High School cafeteria. The date should read June 5, not May 5. That meeting is tonight. Please attend.
For the latest Hawaii Island, West Hawaii, Hawaii State, and local sports news, please check the blog sidebars and links. These news feeds are updated daily. Thanks for joining us today.
Until next time,
https://hawaiinewsdigest.net (Hawaii News Digest)
https://hawaiinewsdigest.com (Hawaii News Headlines)
https://hawaiiinternationalnews.blogspot.com (World News)
https://hawaiisciencedigest.com (Hawaii Science Digest)