Accessed on 05 June 2018, 2347 UTC, Post #16961.
Email message from the Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency.
Advancing lava flows from the Kilauea eruption have covered most of the Kapoho Beach Lots and Vacationland subdivisions in Lower Puna. Among the homes destroyed was a house bought by Hawaii County Mayor Harry Kim in 1971. Approximately 500 homes in that area were endangered by the lava flow.
Here’s the current eruption and lava flow assessment from the Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency:
“A message from COUNTY OF HAWAII
This is a Civil Defense Message for Tuesday, June 5 at 12 noon.
Hawaiian Volcano Observatory reports that vigorous lava eruptions continue in the lower East Rift Zone. Fissure 8 is still active and producing a large channelized flow that has inundated Vacationland and most of Kapoho Beach Lots. The ocean entry has filled Kapoho Bay and is extending 0.7 miles from shore. A large laze plume is blowing inland into the air along the coastline.
Due to the lava entering the ocean, the following policies are in effect:
- Be aware of the laze hazard and stay away from any ocean plume.
- Health hazards of laze include lung damage, and eye and skin irritation.
- Be aware that the laze plume travels with the wind and can change direction without warning.
- Residents are advised to stay away from all areas of volcanic activity.
Due to the current volcanic activity, the following policies are in effect:
- Government Beach Road, between Kahakai Boulevard and Cinder Road, is open to Waa Waa and Papaya Farms Road residents only with official credentials. There is no curfew.
- Residents in this area should heed warnings from Civil Defense officials and be prepared to evacuate with little notice.
The shelter at Pahoa Community Center is open and pet-friendly. The Keaau Armory shelter has reached capacity.
An eruption community information meeting will be held at the Pahoa High School cafeteria this evening, Tuesday, June 5 at 5:00 in the evening.
We are on watch 24-hours a day for your safety.
This is your Hawai‘i County Civil Defense Agency.
This e-mail has been sent to you by the COUNTY OF HAWAII. To maximize their communication with you, you may be receiving this e-mail in addition to a phone call with the same message. If you no longer wish to receive email notifications from COUNTY OF HAWAII, please click here to unsubscribe.”
For the latest Hawaii Island, West Hawaii, Hawaii State, and local sports news, please check the blog sidebars and links. These news feeds are updated daily. Thanks for joining us today.
Until next time,