Accessed on 24 May 2018, 0523 UTC, Post #16872.
Email from the Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency.
Here’s the current eruption and lava flow message from the Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency:
6:00 PM (1 hour ago)
A message from COUNTY OF HAWAII
This is a Civil Defense Message for Wednesday, May 23 at 6:00 in the evening.
Hawaiian Volcano Observatory reports a new lava flow is expected to enter the ocean east of MacKenzie State Park tonight. Eruption activity continues in the Lower East Rift Zone. The middle portion of the fissure system is the most active with flows and ground cracking in the area of Leilani Estates and Lanipuna Gardens.
Due to volcanic activity, information on Puna Geothermal Venture is provided for your awareness:
- The situation remains stable, lava has not encroached further onto PGV property.
- County, state and federal crews are on the scene, and monitoring for sulfur dioxide and hydrogen sulfide.
- There is no hydrogen sulfide detected at this time.
Frequent ash emissions continue at the Kilauea summit. Take action to avoid exposure to ash.
To help our residents, we are distributing free masks for ash protection:
- Distribution runs tonight through Friday from 3:30 to 7:30PM, and Saturday from 9 AM to 1 PM.
- Masks will be distributed at Ocean View Community Center, Naalehu Community Center, Pahala Community Center, Cooper Center, and Shipman Gym in Keaau.
- Each person may receive up to three masks.
- Masks do not protect against gasses and vapors. They will only provide filtering for ash.
Due to the current activity, residents down rift should be prepared to voluntarily evacuate at a moment’s notice. Stay alert to messages issued by Civil Defense.
We are on watch 24-hours a day for your safety.
This is your Hawai‘i County Civil Defense Agency.
This e-mail has been sent to you by the COUNTY OF HAWAII. To maximize their communication with you, you may be receiving this e-mail in addition to a phone call with the same message. If you no longer wish to receive email notifications from COUNTY OF HAWAII, please click here to unsubscribe.
For the latest Hawaii Island, West Hawaii, Hawaii State, and local sports news, please check the blog sidebars and links. These newsfeeds are updated daily. Thanks for joining us today.
Until next time,
https://hawaiinewsdigest.net (Hawaii News Digest)
https;//hawaiinewsdigest.com (Hawaii News Headlines)
https://hawaiiinternationalnews.blogspot.com (World News)
https://hawaiisciencedigest.com (Hawaii Science Digest)