Accessed on 21 May 2018, 0005 UTC, Post #16849.
Email from the Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency.
Here’s the latest eruption update from the Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency. These reports are issued throughout the day on Hawaii Island broadcast stations and through the social media.
12:14 PM (1 hour ago)
A message from COUNTY OF HAWAII
This is a Civil Defense Message for Sunday, May 20 at Noon.
Hawaiian Volcano Observatory continues to monitor active flows. Two lava flows have entered the ocean off Highway 137 near MacKenzie State Park. Hawaiian Volcano Observatory reported that sulfur dioxide emission rates tripled down wind of the rift today. Areas of Kamaili, Seaview, and Malama Ki have elevated levels. Take action necessary to limit further exposure.
Due to the lava entry at the ocean, the following policies are in effect:
- Access to the area is prohibited due to the laze hazard.
- Stay away from any ocean plume. The plume travels with the wind and can change direction without warning.
- The U.S. Coast Guard is actively monitoring the area. Only permitted tour boats are allowed in the area.
Due to hazardous conditions from lava and fires, the following policies are in effect:
- Highway 137 is closed between Kamaili Road and Pohoiki Road.
- Kamaili Road is closed to all thru traffic. No stopping, this is a high sulfur dioxide area.
- Everyone is asked to stay out of the area.
The residents of lower Puna are going through a very difficult time. We ask for your help by avoiding the affected areas. Thank you for your understanding.
We are on watch 24-hours a day for your safety.
This is your Hawai‘i County Civil Defense.
This e-mail has been sent to you by the COUNTY OF HAWAII. To maximize their communication with you, you may be receiving this e-mail in addition to a phone call with the same message. If you no longer wish to receive email notifications from COUNTY OF HAWAII, please click here to unsubscribe.
For the latest Hawaii Island, West Hawaii, Hawaii State, and local sports news, please check the blog sidebars and links. These news feeds are updated daily.
Until next time,
https://hawaiinewsdigest.net (Hawaii News Digest)
https://hawaiinewsdigest.com (Hawaii News Headlines)
https://hawaiiinternationalnews.blogspot.com (World News)
https://hawaiisciencedigest.com (Hawaii Science Digest)