Accessed on 17 May 2019, 0458 UTC, Post #16828.
Email from the Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency.
Here’s the latest eruption and lava flow update from the Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency:
This is a Civil Defense Message for Wednesday, May 16 at 6 p.m.
Hawaiian Volcano Observatory reports that activity within Leilani subdivision and the lower East Rift continues at a diminished rate, no flows are active. Heavy de-gassing is occurring at each vent.
Due to the continued activities at Kilauea crater and the lower Eastern Flow, please be advised the following policies are in effect:
- Highway 11 near the entrance to Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park is open at this time, although the road has suffered minor cracking.
- All other highways are open. Local traffic only beyond checkpoints at Highway 130 by Pahoa High School, and Highway 132 at Pohoiki Road intersection.
- Hawaiian Volcanoes Observatory advises everyone to be on alert as Volcanic gas is traveling downwind to Lower Puna, Volcano Village and surrounding areas. Be on alert for light ashfall and possible hazardous conditions across Ka‘u, Puna, and Hilo Districts.
- The Hawai‘i Fire Department reports air quality condition RED in areas around Lanipuna Gardens and surrounding farm lots on Pohoiki Road. Condition RED means:
- Immediate danger to health so take action to limit further exposure.
- Severe conditions may exist such as choking and inability to breathe.
- Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) gas from fissures are especially dangerous for elderly, children/babies and people with respiratory problems.
The residents of Puna are going through a very difficult time. We ask for your help and understanding.
We are on watch 24-hours a day for your safety.
This is your Hawai‘i County Civil Defense.
This e-mail has been sent to you by the COUNTY OF HAWAII. To maximize their communication with you, you may be receiving this e-mail in addition to a phone call with the same message. If you no longer wish to receive email notifications from COUNTY OF HAWAII, please click here to unsubscribe.
For the latest Hawaii Island, West Hawaii, Hawaii State, and local sports news, please check the blog sidebars and links. These news feeds are updated daily. Thanks for joining us today.
Until next time,
https://hawaiinewsdigest.net (Hawaii News Digest)
https://hawaiinewsdigest.com (Hawaii News Headlines)
https://hawaiiinternationalnews.blogspot.com. (World News)
https://hawaiisciencedigest.com (Hawaii Science Digest)