Accessed on 17 May 2018, 0213 UTC, Post #16825.
Email from the Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency.
Here’s the current East Rift Zone Eruption message from the Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency:
12:31 PM (3 hours ago)
A message from COUNTY OF HAWAII
This is a Civil Defense Message for Wednesday, May 16 at 6 p.m.
The National Weather Service reports very light ashfall and hazardous air quality possible. The Hawaiian Volcano Observatory reports that occasional bursts of ash are coming from Halemaumau Crater. Light upslope winds may carry ash across portions of Kau, Puna and North and South Hilo Districts. Only trace dusting of ash is currently visible on property.
- Avoid excessive exposure to ash which is an eye and respiratory irritant.
- Those with breathing issues should take extra precaution to minimize exposure.
- Motorists are advised to drive with caution.
- All roads in this area are open at this time.
Volcanic gas emissions remain elevated throughout the area downwind of the vents in lower Puna. An interruption in trade winds today means that Lower Puna, Volcano Village and surrounding areas, such as the Big Island North, South and Interior, may experience varying levels of vog and sulfur dioxide exposure. The Hawaii Fire Department reports that air quality is still condition RED around fissures in the southeast area of Lanipuna Gardens and surrounding farm lots on Pohoiki Road.
- Condition RED means immediate danger to health so take action to limit further exposure.
- Severe conditions may exist such as choking and inability to breathe.
- Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) gas from fissures are especially dangerous for elderly, children/babies and people with respiratory problems.
The Hawaiian Volcano Observatory says lava flows from fissure 17 have advanced little over the past day. Field crew estimates are an advance of only 100 yards.
Due to the volcanic activity, the following are issued:
- The U.S. Postal Service reports that mail delivery has been temporarily suspended to the following neighborhoods in the Puna area of Hawaii island: Leilani Estates, Lanipuna Gardens, Pahoa-Kapoho Road, Papaya Farms, Vacationland, Kapoho Beach, Kapoho-Kalapana Road, Seaview, Puna Palisades, Kehena, Kalapana Shores, Uncle Roberts, Kalapana-Pahoa Road, Chain of Craters Road and Black Sands. Residents of these areas are asked to pick up their mail from the Pahoa Post Office at 15-2859 Pahoa Village Road.
- Just a reminder: An emergency water restriction is in effect for the Kapoho to Pohoiki area until further notice.
County, State and Federal partners continue to monitor the situation. You will be informed of any conditions that affect your safety.
Sign up for the latest Civil Defense Agency messages and alerts at www.hawaiicounty.gov/active-alerts
The residents of Puna are going through a very difficult time. We ask for your help and understanding.
Thank you for listening. Have a safe day. This is your Hawai‘i County Civil Defense.
This e-mail has been sent to you by the COUNTY OF HAWAII. To maximize their communication with you, you may be receiving this e-mail in addition to a phone call with the same message. If you no longer wish to receive email notifications from COUNTY OF HAWAII, please click here to unsubscribe.
For the latest Hawaii Island, West Hawaii, Hawaii State, and local sports news, please check the blog sidebars and links. These news feeds are updated daily. Thanks for joining us today.
Until next time,
https://hawaiinewsdigest.net (Hawaii News Digest)
https://hawaiinewsdigest.com (Hawaii News Digest)
https://hawaiiinternationalnews.blogpost.com (World News)
https://hawaiisciencedigest.com (Hawaii Science Digest)