Accessed on 14 May 2018, 0513 UTC, Post #16804.
Email from the Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency.
Here’s the latest eruption and lava flow update from the Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency:
This is a Civil Defense Message for Sunday, May 13, 2018 at 6 PM.
Hawaiian Volcano Observatory reports that fissure 18 has opened up near Halekamahina Loop Road between fissure 16 and 17. Active fumes and lava spatter are occurring at this time. This newest fissure is on private property, do not trespass.
Continued earthquake activity and additional outbreaks in the area are likely.
In addition, HVO has cautioned about the possibility of an explosive eruption at Halema’uma’u Crater due to the withdrawal of lava from Kilauea summit lake. This could generate dangerous debris very near the crater and ashfalls up to tens of miles downwind.
Due to the volcanic activity, the following are issued:
- Residents of lower Puna: there may be little to no advance notice to evacuate, so take this time to prepare. If you evacuate voluntarily, pet-friendly shelters are open at Pahoa Community Center and Kea’au Community Center.
- Highway 132 is closed at Pohoiki Road intersection. Only local traffic allowed on Highway 132 (Pahoa-Kapoho Road) and Highway 137 (Beach Road).
- Highway 130 is closed at the intersection of Highway 132. Only local traffic allowed into Leilani Subdivision. Highway 130 remains closed between Malama Street and Kama’ili Road.
- Off-road sightseeing is prohibited. Stay out of the active eruption area. Allow the residents to care for their business.
- Vacation rentals in lower Puna are directed to cease operations to relieve the demand for water as well as reduce the area population so emergency responders can focus on residents who live in the area.
County, State and Federal partners continue to monitor the situation. You will be informed of any conditions that affect your safety.
Thank you for listening. Have a safe day. This is your Hawai‘i County Civil Defense.
This e-mail has been sent to you by the COUNTY OF HAWAII. To maximize their communication with you, you may be receiving this e-mail in addition to a phone call with the same message. If you no longer wish to receive email notifications from COUNTY OF HAWAII, please click here to unsubscribe.
For the latest Hawaii Island, West Hawaii, Hawaii State, and local sports news, please check the blog sidebars and links. These news feeds are updated daily. Thanks for joining us today.
Until next time,
https://hawaiinewsdigest.net (Hawaii News Digest)
https://hawaiinewsdigest.com (Hawaii News Headlines)
https://hawaiiinternationalnews.blogspot.com (World News)
https://hawaiisciencedigest.com (Hawaii Science Digest)