Accessed on 12 May 2018, 0303 UTC, Post #16790.
Email from the Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency.
Here’s the current eruption and lava flow update from the Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency:
1:52 PM (3 hours ago)
A message from COUNTY OF HAWAII
This is a Civil Defense Message for Friday, May 11, 2018 at 1:40 PM.
Hawaiian Volcano Observatory (HVO) reports the east rift zone intrusion and seismic activity appears to be moving down-rift in a north-east direction. Hazardous fumes continue to be released from existing cracks and fissures, but no lava activity is occurring at this time.
Visit the new link on the Civil Defense website for better public access to the eruption map: http://www.hawaiicounty.gov/2018-lava-map. For more details on the intrusion and volcanic activity: https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/observatories/hvo/
- As a precautionary measure, residents of lower Puna between Kapoho and Kalapana, are advised to be on the alert in the event of possible gas emissions and volcanic eruption. Because there may be little to no advance notice to evacuate, you should be prepared to evacuate at short notice. Take this time to prepare.
- If you evacuate voluntarily, the Pahoa Community Center and Kea’au Community Center are open. Food will be provided and the shelters are pet-friendly. This is a precautionary message. We want everyone in the Lower Puna area to be ready, and to remain safe.
- All beach parks in Lower Puna have been closed, including the Pohoiki Boat Ramp.
- Conditions permitting, Leilani Estates residents will be allowed to check on their property from 7 AM to 6 PM each day until further notice.
- Civil Defense Recovery Information and Assistance Center (RIAC) is open at the Pāhoa Community Center, Monday to Friday from 9 AM to 3 PM. You can come with questions and concerns that involve Evacuation Access Placards, Health, Mental/Spiritual Health, Housing, Aging, and On-Site Shelter needs.
Road Status Update:
- Highway 130 is closed between Malama Street and Kamaili Road.
- Pohoiki Road is closed from Highway 132 to Highway 137 due to cracks in the road.
- No access is allowed at this time for residents of Lanipuna Gardens due to dangerous volcanic gases.
- Puna Geothermal Venture (PGV) has completed the removal of all pentane.
- The Kalapana Transfer Station is closed until further notice. The Pāhoa Transfer Station on Apaa Street is open 7 days a week, from 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Hawai‘i Electric Light reminds residents to treat all downed lines as live. Under no circumstances are you to approach or touch downed lines.
- Emergency water restrictions for Pohoiki, Vacationland and Kapoho are still in effect. Water spigots installed near the entrance of Lava Tree State Park and a water tanker in Vacationland are still available for the public to access.
- Evacuated residents can pick up their mail at the Pāhoa Post Office. The Hawaii Volcanoes National Park Post Office has closed, mail pick up for area residents is at Volcano Village Post Office.
- The Hawai‘i County Police Department and the Prosecutor’s Office have established a policy of zero tolerance towards looting or vandalism. Under Emergency Provisions, any looting or vandalism will be treated as a felony.
- Contact the Humane Society for animal information.
- Hawai‘i Academy of Arts and Sciences, and Volcano School of Arts and Sciences are closed today.
- Kua O Ka La School will reopen in Hilo on Monday. Grades K through 4 will meet at New Hope Church in Hilo, grades 5 through 12 will meet at the Boys and Girls Club in Hilo.
- The evacuated residents are going through a very difficult time. We ask for your help and understanding.
County, State and Federal partners continue to monitor the situation. You will be informed of any conditions that affect your safety.
Thank you for listening. Have a safe day. This is your Hawai‘i County Civil Defense.
This e-mail has been sent to you by the COUNTY OF HAWAII. To maximize their communication with you, you may be receiving this e-mail in addition to a phone call with the same message. If you no longer wish to receive email notifications from COUNTY OF HAWAII, please click here to unsubscribe.
For the latest Hawaii Island, West Hawaii, Hawaii State, and local sports news, please check the blog sidebars and links. These news feeds are updated daily. Thanks for joining us today.
Until next time,
https;//hawaiinewsdigest.net (Hawaii News Digest)
https://hawaiinewsdigest.com (Hawaii News Headlines)
https://hawaiiinternationalnews.blogspot.com (World News)
https://hawaiisciencedigest.com (Hawaii Science Digest)