Accessed on 08 May 2018, 0448 UTC, Post #16767.
Email from the Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency.
Here’s the latest update on the ongoing eruption and lava flow impacts on the Leilani Estates subdivision and Lanipuna Gardens subdivision.
This is a Civil Defense Message for Monday, May 7, 2018 at 2:45 PM.
Hawaiian Volcano Observatory confirms the eruption in Leilani continues. Two new fissures have emerged south of Malama Street emitting lava and gas.
Since the onset of this eruption, a total of 12 fissures have emerged, and 35 structures have been destroyed.
Due to the eruption, the following are issued:
- Conditions permitting, Leilani Estates residents will be allowed to check on their property from 7 AM to 6 PM each day until further notice. Follow the instructions of the authorities on scene. Be prepared to evacuate at a moment’s notice.
- Highway 130 is closed between Malama Street and Kamaili Road.
- Pohoiki Road is closed from 132 to Hinalo Street.
- A community meeting will be held tonight at Pāhoa High School Cafeteria at 5:30 PM. Event information and the status of services will be shared. Na Leo TV will broadcast the meeting live: http://naleo.tv/
- Civil Defense has established a community information center at Sacred Hearts Church in Pāhoa, Monday to Friday from 9 AM to 3 PM.
- Hawai‘i Electric Light is working to try to keep power online. Treat all downed lines as live. Under no circumstances are you to approach or touch downed lines.
- The Department of Water Supply is working to establish a temporary bypass waterline to restore water service to the areas of Pohoiki, Vacationland, and Kapoho.
- A water truck for public use is located near the Vacationland mailboxes.
- No access is allowed at this time for residents of Lanipuna Gardens due to dangerous volcanic gases.
- Please, the residents of Leilani need our help. This is not the time for sightseeing. You can help tremendously by staying out of the area.
- The Hawai‘i County Police Department and the Prosecutor’s Office have established a policy of zero tolerance towards looting or vandalism. Under Emergency Provisions, any looting or vandalism will be treated as a felony.
- Puna Geothermal Venture reports no activity at this time and the facility is secured. Precautionary measures are being taken to remove flammable materials offsite.
- For the latest Hawaii Island, West Hawaii, Hawaii State, and local sports news, please check the blog sidebars and links. These news feeds are updated daily. Thanks for joining us today.
- Until next time. Russ Roberts (https://hawaiinewsdigest.net; https://hawaiinewsdigest.com (Hawaii News Headlines); https://hawaiiinternationalnews.blogspot.com; and https://hawaiisciencedigest.com (Hawaii Science Digest)