Accessed on 06 May 2018, 0449 UTC, Post #16755.
Email from the Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency.
Here’s the latest eruption update from the Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency:
This is a Civil Defense update for Saturday May 5, 2018 at 6:15 PM.
Hawaiian Volcano Observatory confirms no new outbreaks have emerged and the fissures continue to emit hazardous fumes in Leilani Subdivision at this time.
It is confirmed that at this time, 5 homes have been destroyed.
Due to the eruption, the following are issued:
- Leilani Estates and Lanipuna Gardens residents have been placed on evacuation notice due to the unpredictability of volcanic hazards. American Red Cross and Department of Parks and Recreation shelters are available for your sheltering needs.
- An emergency water restriction is in effect for Department of Water Supply customers of Leilani Estates Subdivision and below. All residences in the Kapoho area will be affected by this water emergency. Water spigots have been installed near the entrance of Lava Tree State Park and a water tanker has been placed in Vacationland for public drinking water access.
- Hawaii Fire Department reports extremely dangerous air quality conditions due to high levels of sulfur dioxide gas in the evacuation area.
- The high levels of sulfur dioxide are a threat to all who become exposed. All are asked to be on the extreme alert to exposure to sulfur dioxide.
- The area continues to be unstable with volcanic venting and related hazards of earthquake and poisonous gases ongoing. Please heed all advisories.
County, State and Federal partners continue to monitor the situation. You will be informed of any conditions that affect your safety. The next update will be at 8 AM or earlier if necessary.”
For the latest Hawaii Island, West Hawaii, Hawaii State, and local sports news, please check the blog sidebars and links. These news feeds are updated daily. Thanks for joining us today.
Until next time,
htps://hawaiinewsdigest.net (Hawaii News Digest)
https://hawaiinewsdigest.com (Hawaii News Headlines)
https://hawaiiinternationalnews.blogspot.com (World News)
https://hawaiisciencedigest.com (Hawaii Science Digest)