Accessed on 05 May 2018, 2330 UTC, Post #16753.
Email from the Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency.
Here’s another eruption updated from the Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency.
12:28 PM (1 hour ago)
A message from COUNTY OF HAWAII
This is a Civil Defense update for Saturday May 5, 2018 at 12:00 Noon
Hawaiian Volcano Observatory and field units confirm that the volcanic eruption activities continue in Leilani Subdivision. At this time eruptive activity is increasing and is expected to continue.
Due to the eruption, the following are issued:
- All residents in Leilani Estates and Lanipuna Gardens Subdivisions have been placed on evacuation notice due to volcanic activity and smoke hazards. Please understand the unpredictability of these hazards. The American Red Cross and the Department of Parks and Recreation have opened shelters at the Pahoa Community Center and the Kea’au Community Center for your use.
- The Department of Water Supply has issued an emergency water status for all areas ocean side of Leilani Estates. This is due to the main water lines being impacted by lava activity. All residences in the Kapoho area will be affected by this water shortage. Water spigots have been installed ear the entrance of Lava Tree State Park and a water tanker has been placed in Vacationland for public access.
- HELCO reports that power has been interrupted to the Leilani Estates Subdivision due to lava affecting power lines. HELCO crews are standing by and monitoring the situation. Updates will be provided as information becomes available.
- Hawaii Fire Department reports extremely dangerous air quality conditions due to high levels of Sulfur Dioxide gas in the evacuation area. Elderly, young, and people with respiratory problems are especially vulnerable.
- The high levels of Sulphur Dioxide are a threat to all who become exposed. All asked to be on the extreme alert to exposure to suphur dioxide.
- The area continues to be unstable with multiple volcanic eruptions happening and related hazards of earthquake and poisonous gasses. Please heed all evacuation advisories.
County, State and Federal partners continue to monitor the situation. You will be informed of any conditions that affect your safety. The next update will be at 6:00 PM or earlier if necessary.
This e-mail has been sent to you by the COUNTY OF HAWAII. To maximize their communication with you, you may be receiving this e-mail in addition to a phone call with the same message. If you no longer wish to receive email notifications from COUNTY OF HAWAII, please click here to unsubscribe.
For the latest Hawaii Island, West Hawaii, Hawaii State, and local sports news, please check the blog sidebars and links. These news feeds are updated daily. Thanks for joining us today.
Until next time,
https://hawaiinewsdigest.net (Hawaii News Digest)
https://hawaiinewsdigest.com (Hawaii News Headlines)
https://hawaiiinternationalnews.blogspot.com (World News)
https://hawaiisciencedigest.com (Hawaii Science Digest)